Friday, August 8, 2008

Not wanting to rant...

Hello!
It's another exciting day of life! No really, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with that opening line. It's true--whether we like it or not--everyday that we are aware of our senses, and have the ability to act upon our impulses (mandatory things too like household chores, errands, work...etc.), IT IS an exciting day! And there will only be one just like it...and in some cases that is a very welcomed thing.

Today I spent time with an incredible lady(Millie). She's 98 years young, and full of life to the hilt. As we prepared a casserole in her kitchen I had the honor of hearing some of her life's story. (Think of a feisty Idgie Threadgoode-type from "Fried Green Tomatoes" recalling the past.)

Millie was not about to let me put the casserole together on my own. In a warm and helpful way she guided me through each step of the recipe. At first I was a little "miffed" because ,afterall, I had made several dishes on my own. This time was different. After a minute or two it finally hit me what exactly was happening. Millie's hands were tired, but her spirit and willingness to prepare a meal were not. She may not have the "staying power" for stirring...but she most definitely had the desire to be a part of something. Even if it was a zucchini casserole. THIS was exciting to her!

You should have seen Millie smile throughout the whole prep time. She was so anxious to do the final "once over" before we stored it into the refrigerator. She gently waved the spatula over the dish and "shmooshed" things into place. Then she gave me a "look at what we did" smile. We smiled at each other and nodded our heads in agreement.

After our cooking fun, it was time to clean up...BUT guess what? Yep. You guessed it! Millie took the lead and we did the dishes together. Amidst our soapy chore she shared her various opinions with me. One made me chuckle, but also take a second look at myself. According to Millie:"This younger generation just wants too much. They want more & more...and they'll do anything to get it. They want this & they want that. THEN they bitch about what they have." (*Yes, she really said all of that.)

Millie also went on to tell me that when she was 13 yrs. old, she and her sister worked for a Doctor and his wife, taking care of their children and home. And they did it for 10 cents a day! This was the part that got me. 10 cents! Say it with me....10 cents! Earlier in the day I dropped some change under my desk, and as I looked down to survey what I'd "lost" at the moment, I saw 2 dimes and thought "oh well, I'll get those later." To me--and my "younger generation" two dropped dimes seemed so insignificant, but to a 13 yr. old Millie that meant 2 days of hard work. That represented many hours of success, and it was used to help with the daily survival of her family of 14!

Lol...I guess as long as you're younger than 98 you'll fall into that "younger generation" that Millie speaks of so often. She still has that spark to her. She still finds excitement in the little things. I know, because I saw it over and over again today. It WAS an exciting day today! My friend Millie taught me so much today. We visited intensely during the commercial breaks of "The Price Is Right", but....that's a whole other story. ;)

Your life is waiting..."come on down." Get excited.

No comments: